Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Non-broken Toe

My daughter stubbed her toe last night.   She doesn’t cry for long when something happens that hurts her mostly because of a combination of temperament (feisty) and experience bumping into things all the time.   She’s just used to getting hurt.   But this was different.  I was downstairs at Movie Night with our friends and when I came up an hour later she still wouldn’t put any pressure on it and refused to walk.

We iced it and put her to bed.   I took some pictures and texted them to my chiropractor asking him if he thought her right big toe might be dislocated because it was kilting out a bit and didn’t look completely normal at the second joint.   He said he couldn’t tell from the picture for sure but her bone end caps weren’t fully formed yet and from my description of her behavior both he and I thought it probably wasn’t broken.

If it was dislocated we could ice her foot for two minutes in a bucket of ice and then while we “dried off her foot” tug straight out on the toe to see if we could get the joint back in.    In the morning we did just that.   She didn’t like either and I wasn’t sure if we affected any change.   Her toe might be looking a little straighter, but she still didn’t want to really walk on it.  

So we decided to take her to the orthopedist for an x-ray.   My daughter and I got there late morning and she was limping but doing okay walking.   We had the x-rays done and on the way back to the room she noticed there were green patches in the tile—and she decided to jump up and down on them.  

Every green tile section she would jump three times on with both feet.   So yeah, we really look like we’ve overreacted now.   From the title of this post you can tell that her toe was not broken and at that point wasn’t dislocated, although we don’t know if it had been earlier.  

My daughter and I celebrated with a trip to Golden Corral, a place she’s been asking to be taken to for several weeks now.   She’s wearing shoes for support in the house for two days and isn’t suppose to climb the door frames for several more.   She has her brand new shoes on now in the chair and doesn’t seem phased at all by the purple, swollen toe anymore.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was working with Plus Plus today, making some figures he’s created on his own and likes to make from time to time.   He said to me, “Mom, I’m making a movie.   I just gave you a hint” pointing at the middle, larger character.   He said, “can you guess what movie it is?”


This was pressure on me because I had no idea.   And then I got it.   I told him the middle one was The Hulk, the red one was Iron Man, the blue one was Captain America.   He helped me with Black Widow and I got lucky and guessed Thor for the last one.   But what was the movie, he asked?   Avengers, I told him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been wanting to go to Golden Corral for a good while now.   We haven’t gone because the last few times my son had an allergic reaction to something there and we’re not sure what it was.   We had planned to have a dinner where I take my daughter and my husband goes somewhere with my son.   With the toe situation today it turned out to be a good time for the two of us to go together.    She loves that place; I had to tell her we had to go finally because dad needed to leave for work and we had to get home to be with her brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment