Friday, February 2, 2018

Search Committee

Our children's Head of School has announced her retirement and has graciously done so with significant lead time so that the board of trustees can pursue finding a replacement for her.   As a trustee, I’ve been impressed with the amount of work that's been done up to this point to evaluate and select a consultant firm to assist with defining the job description, communication with the teachers and community about the process and preparation of timeline so that a replacement will be found in time while also giving the school the best opportunity to find a Head of School that will fit with all that defines our school.   The task is not small and the implications for a school can be significant if the wrong head is hired.

I was asked if I would serve on the search committee today.   My mother was involved with a search committee for the head of a museum and I know from her that the time commitment is not trivial.   The email I received stated the estimated amount of hours, peak involvement months and duration of the committee (approximately one year).

I firmly believe that our school will not be the same once our current head of school retires, but it could be something new, something different, but something that retains the core values of our existing school,   I’m looking forward to being part of the process to help the new head of school.

The Big Boy Update:  my son came downstairs today in one of the new shirts I’d gotten for him at the used clothing store.   He said, “Mom, I don’t mean to insult you, but I think this shirt's too big.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  my daughter has strep throat.  She wasn’t upset about that, she was upset about missing Groundhog Day at school because they'd been preparing for it.   She was crying so pitifully at the doctor's office that he and the doctor couldn’t help but smile when she wasn’t looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment