Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Inherited Traits

My mother spent some time with my son the other day.   She likes to come up with things to do with him or my daughter when she’s with them.   My son is into anything science so I figured this was going to be fun for him.   My husband and I left to go to our company meeting and when we came back hours later my mother told us they had had a good discussion about dominant and recessive traits.

I knew some of the things on the list, but I was surprised at how many my son talked to me about on the ride to school the next morning.   He asked me if, “I could do this…” which I had to wait for a stop light to determine meant ‘roll your tongue’.   My son can do that.  

He told me some people had detached ears.  I asked him if he meant earlobes and he said that’s what he meant.   He told me some people had freckles and they inherited that from their parents and that some people had a cut in their chin (cleft chin).   He also told me some people couldn’t see all the colors and that it was call colorblindness, but that it wasn’t the same thing as what his sister had.

The Big Boy Update:  My mother also did some science experiments with my son from a book he got from Christmas   They discovered oil and water didn’t mix.   He had a good idea to use the chocolate milk mixer to stir up the water and oil with a push of a button.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We got my daughter some new headphones because her current ones have an almost broken power button and have had two applications of duct tape to keep the ear pieces in place.   She’s currently wailing at the new headphones because they’re ‘terrible’.   I think this might be because they’re not broken in and also because she dislikes change.   We’ll find out in a day or two which it really is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment