Thursday, February 8, 2018

High Five

When I was little I got the magazine High Five from Highlights for Children.  I got a subscription for my children a few years back and although now it only is something my son can really see and do, it’s something he hasn’t been interested in.

Today on the way to school I put one of the magazines I’d been collecting in his hands and told him about all the fun things in each magazine.  On the way to school he looked through the pages, looking for the hidden object page until he found it.    He called out to me from the back seat when he’d located the page and said, “I found the toothbrush straight away.”    I told him when we got in drop-off line I would give him a pen and he could circle them as he found each item.

When we were situated in line I handed back my pen and he started telling me all the things he’d found.   I looked back a minuted or two later to see him circling the items not in the picture, but in the list on the preceding page.   I told him typically you’d circle the pictures in the drawing itself, not the list.   “I like doing it this way better” he said.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked to play one of his favorite songs, “Spectre”,  in the car today.   He said to my husband, “it sounds so much better in the car than on Alexa.  I can hear the beat.”   Dad explained that the car had more than one speaker like Alexa did.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has had the same library books in her backpack on and off since November.   It wasn’t until yesterday that I found out why: she wanted them read to her more.   I told her she couldn’t get more books until we returned the two she had checked out.   That wasn’t a problem, she said.  All I needed to do was take down all the words on the books she had on a piece of paper.   Or wait, on second thought, she said, could I just photocopy the snowman book because she liked it the best?   We compromised and added the book to her Amazon wish list.    When we saw her brainiest at school today I mentioned the story and Mrs. Aagard said she’d been wondering about that because my daughter kept saying we never read the books to her.    Hopefully we’ll have some new library books home in the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment