Saturday, September 19, 2015

The One-Four Punch

My daughter’s eye problems are being addressed from multiple directions.   I was thinking last night that instead of a one-two punch, we’re hitting it in for directions instead of one.   There are the steroid drops she gets four times each day.   She has the steroid oral medication she takes once per day, yesterday she received a steroid IV treatment and she also had an immunosuppressant dose of medication that should last a month.  

That’s four medications specifically to address inflammation in her eyes.   I really think she is on the mend.   It’s hard to tell exactly how her vision is changing because she doesn’t like to let you know.   We played the, “Road Signs” game today in which we let each other know when you see a road sign. I am TERRIBLE at this game (by design) so I can figure out what she’s seeing.    I think she can see a bit more.

She can also see some things mid-range and near-range she couldn’t see well before.   She cut up paper into small bits and was able to clean it all up and throw it away.   She recognized a letter on a die.   She also was able to discern some animal silhouettes she wasn’t able to two days ago.   But those measurements are a bit relative.   For instance, if I told you she could see the letter, “R” on a die, you’d likely guess she should have no trouble discerning the black animal silhouette shape on a legal-sized piece of paper from four feet away.  And yet she’s not that good from that visual angle.

She seems like she’s able to use her vision more now to gain information from her environment.   I hope so.   I hope tomorrow brings more evidence of better vision.

The Big Boy Update:   We went to a birthday party today for one of my children’s best friends, Keira, who lives two houses away.   The party was a lot of fun, and the cake was delicious.  I noticed as I watched my son that he makes friends quickly.   There were multiple children he just started talking to and shortly later, I noticed they were including him in their conversations, even finding him across the room to tell him to come over and see what the hermit crabs were doing.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I have told my daughter for over a year now that I would help her learn how to “pump” but that I would not push her in the swing.   She has recently had a lot of pushing from relatives visiting and was angry at me today when I told her, again, that I would help teach her how to pump.   She said angrily, “I know how!” and then proceeded to show me exactly how she knew how.   I didn’t say anything until she was swinging quite high, on her own power, and then I said, “now you can swing as high as you want, any time.”    I went inside and had my husband look out the window to see her still pumping away

Fitness Update:  Eight miles of running this morning.   I think the last days of warm mornings may be coming soon, but for now, they’re welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment