Monday, September 14, 2015

Making The Lunches

My children are eating lunch at school this year, which is something new.   Last year we picked them up at school and had to make a decision if we were going home for lunch or going out.   This year I think without a doubt, I prefer the children having lunches at school.   We have an opportunity to pack a healthy lunch and snack for them each day and they have an enjoyable meal with their friends and teachers.  

Getting the whole lunch making process down has taken a little time to get up to speed on though.   First, what should they take to school?   I’m asking them to be a part of the lunch making process, but that doesn’t mean they get to pack their lunch boxes with candy and ice cream.   Based on some observation and advice from other parents, I purchased zippered lunch boxes for each of the children and then got some small plastic containers of varying sizes to pack the components of their lunch into.

The children are getting good at helping pack the fruit and vegetable section of their lunch boxes.   They get choices (from me) and then decide if they want more grapes or celery or carrots, for instance.   They have a “crunchy” container as I’ve named it that can be packed with things like pretzels, veggie straws, etc.    Then there is their favorite container, the smallest, that fits just about four animal crackers or other dessert item.  

The main container is for a sandwich commonly.   They’ve recently been liking ham and cheese rollups but we’ve sent in sandwich halves, pasta or even left over pizza from meals out.   If the items they pick our are small enough, we can add in a string cheese or a yogurt.    Overall, the goal is to pack the amount of lunch they’ll be hungry for, and no more.   I’ve started getting closer to the right amount of food recently as their lunch boxes are coming home empty.

I enjoy working with them to get their lunches prepared the night before, having them ready in the refrigerator in the morning.   I’ve heard other families put the lunches together in the mornings.   I wouldn’t want the added rush of making a meal in addition to our regular morning meal.   Making lunches at night has been fun for all of us.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got his lip busted open today.   It was a complete accident by his friend who was running up to give him a big hug when his head got in the way of my son’s lip.   It was bleeding a good bit and my son was saying some rather unkind things about Malcolm and how he was never going to play with him again.   His lip was puffed up tonight, but is looking fine.   My son told dad this evening he was not nice in the words he said to Malcolm.   I’m glad he was able to reflect on what happened.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The steroids are having an effect on my daughter.   She has amped up her hunger level and if you don’t bring food in time, boy, you might be in for some words from her.   Her temper is much shorter and her anger level is much more intense.   Other than that, her vision appears to be about the same.   It’s going to be hard to tell until she’s off the dilation drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment