Sunday, September 13, 2015

How Often Do You Butch?

Today’s topic isn’t about my daughter’s eyes.   This is largely in part because she seems to be stable or possibly improving in what she can see.   We were at a birthday party today at a farm and she was able to move around people, obstacles and even pumpkins in a pumpkin patch with ease.   It’s almost as if she can see normally.   But then something happens that makes you question that observation.   She was in a group of people and couldn’t find me because she couldn’t hear me talking (I was eating an apple.)   Someone had to walk her over to where I was.   It’s a big mystery what she can and can’t see because she doesn’t want to talk about it and is getting more aware of subtle, vision-based questions we’re asking her.

Now, back to my normally scheduled, never predictable, random blog post topic for the day…

I was in the kitchen the other day with some clementine oranges that had gone past their prime.   They weren’t peeling well and I didn’t want to send them to school with the children.   They did though have plenty of juice in them if squeezed, I thought.    I got out a cutting mat and looked at the big block of knives, trying to decide which one to use to cut the oranges with.

I pulled out several and then decided on the butcher’s knife.   I decided on that knife for no good reason other than I didn’t think the knife ever got used and it was high time it was put to use for something.    My husband walked in as I was trying to balance a little orange against a huge knife.   He heard me say, “this knife really isn’t good for this job.”  He tried to be helpful, explaining which knife I should have used (he does know his knives) to which I called out, “I know which knife to use, I just wanted to get some sort of use out of this butcher knife.”   He said something about using it and I said, “how often do you butch?”  to which he replied “oh, only about once a year.”

The moral of the story is that butcher’s knives are terrible at cutting up small oranges.   The other moral to the story is we didn’t need to get a butchers knife, seeing as we rarely butch in our house.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was playing in the hay barn at a farm birthday party today.   He was having a tremendous amount of fun with some of his classmates from school who were also at the party.   He cried out, “I am the master of hay!”   Grandpa tried to get him to leave to try some of the other activities at the farm but he was having none of it, saying, “I don’t want to leave; I’m burning a lot of calories.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was talking about her birthday party coming up in November.   We asked her where she’d like to have her party.   She told us, “somewhere up North.”

Fitness Update:  In preparation for the marathon in November we ran twenty miles today.   We talked about it at the end and think we could have done the 26.2 miles if we had more hydration and some Gu packets.   I’m a bit tired now, after spending a lot of the day at an outdoor birthday party at a farm.   I’ll sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment