Thursday, October 10, 2019

She Didn’t Like Him

My daughter was tentatively okay about going to see the psychiatrist today.   She had been told by her brother how he had a comfortable seat (which is a padded leather office chair she didn't care about sitting in).   He told her he could prescribe something that would make her feel better and that Dr. Snow had helped him.   My son, on his own, was a good spokesperson for Dr. Snow.

When we arrived though, things went up and down.   She was fine going in until she bumped into something and then she refused to go in the door.   She didn't want to go back to his office until she played hide and go seek with me and found a good hiding spot in the empty waiting room under pillows on his couch.

When we went back I did a lot of the talking to give him some background and answer questions.  My daughter didn't want to play with any toys and told Dr. Snow she didn't like him but warmed up to him after he talked to her a bit.

She reiterated, multiple times, about not ever being happy.   She asked about a medication that might make her feel better, sounding somewhat hopeful even.  He gave her the confidence there was help he could give.

We talked about treating anxiety instead of depression and he agreed that reducing her anxiety might help her process and cope.   It was a good appointment.   We've got something to try.   We'll see how it goes and return in a month.   On the way home, we stopped at the pharmacy to drop off the prescription.  

As we got ready for bed she asked if the prescription was ready.   I didn't realize she was that interested.   That hopeful.   The opposite of resistant, like she is with everything else.   My husband was at the hospital visiting Nana, who is staying overnight after surgery to replace some worn-out components of the knee replacement hardware she had many years ago.   We called, said 'hello' to Nana and I asked him to pick up the prescription on the way home.

My daughter went to bed but wanted to be woken up as soon as he got home so she could take the "happy" pill.   I'm very glad I made the call because I have a daughter with hope now.   I think she's been without hope in some ways and about some things for a long while now.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has an idea for a car.   It's going to be a color-powered light speed car.   His reasoning is that light is made up of color so that a color-powered car would be able to go the speed of light.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I made my daughter cry today.   It was a bit unexpected.  We had just gotten back from seeing the doctor and then buying way too much Halloween candy and I wanted to lie down for a few minutes.   Some days are good and some days are bad with my pain and I just needed a few.   She came in and said there was the most amazing thing that I had to come to the deck right away to see hear the birds.   I told her I didn't feel well and that I was going to have to miss this one.   I heard her crying and didn't understand until later.   She had opened the deck door to hear a large migratory flock of birds that had lighted on a tree in the back yard.  It was very loud and something she'd never experienced before.   She knew it was unusual and wanted me to see it and was upset I didn't want to.   They took a video of it and showed me later.  If she had been able to explain I think I would have gotten up.  I thought it was just a bird making noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment