Wednesday, October 30, 2019

MLM

I could have called this post "Tupperware" because when I think of multi-level marketing companies that's the one I have the strongest association with.   The first one I knew about was Avon, although to me it was just a lady ringing the doorbell when I was young and my mother ordering some lipsticks from her.  Maybe she ordered other things but I remember her getting something she put on her lips.  

One time the lady stopped by she had a little tiny lipstick sample she gave to my mother.  It was the size that would have been perfect for a Raggedy Ann-sized doll.  My mother gave it to me.   I didn't have any interest in lipstick, but the size of the little tube with the lipstick color sample fascinated me.   I must have used it eventually but I looked at it for a long time, not wanting to mess up the pristine shape the pink-red stick.

When I was older and had started working at IBM while I was in college I got invited to some Tupperware parties.   This was my first experience of the, "invite every single person you know that might be interested or would feel obligated to come".   If that sounds ungracious, it's because it's how I view it personally.   That doesn't mean I mind coming to your party for the latest new thing because I don't.   I don't mind the subtle pressure to buy something or a lot of something to support your friend in their new business endeavor to make money off a portion of the proceeds of what you end up spending, because I'm fine with that.  I'll happily come to your party and will probably buy something.  I'm a pretty easy consumer to sway.

I just don't like the concept for me.  I don't want to host a party and I don't want to invite all my friends.  I don't feel comfortable asking people to come to an event to spend money so I can have some of it.   Maybe the products are truly remarkable, but I don't want to be involved as the middle man and involved in other people being able to by said products.  

Add to that the Multi-level component and my unease increases.   Now that you're a "rep" for the product, get your friends, associates, and acquaintances to become reps themselves.   Then they can make their own money from sales of their connections, and you can make a portion of their portion.   The theory is that with the right amount of people involved (a lot) you can quit your day job.

Statistically, you have a 2.9% chance of being profitable as a gambler.   0.4% of people in an MLM are making a profit.  You end up investing in the products themselves, perhaps far more than you might otherwise spend on something.

I like traditional consumerism that doesn't involve friends and family.   That being said, I've been a "rep" for a few product lines in the past.   I've joined at a higher level because the products are good ones and I expected to spend enough over time personally that it was more economical to be my own salesperson.

I believe firmly that, "if it makes you happy, do it" and if someone I know joins an MLM and they're having fun with it or are able to supplement their household income, then more power to them.   Invite me to your party, I'll come and buy something.   Like I said, I'm an easy consumer to sway.

The Big Boy Chronicles:  I was going to give my son the night off on his rehearsal since tomorrow is the presentation day.   I asked him how many times he thought he needed to rehearse, expecting him to say none, but he said: "three...well, maybe two".   Several days ago he just didn't want to rehearse and said he knew it all.   Tonight, he realizes I think that he could use a few more practice runs.   He knows the whole thing but he has to think for a few seconds to remember what's next here and there.

The Tiny Girl Update:  My daughter has raised a lot of money for her Fun Run school fundraiser.   Tomorrow she will run thirty-six laps in the school gym (because it will be raining).   Thank you to everyone who has helped her and her school.   Raising money for education is something we feel strongly about.  I come from a family of educators who worked very hard to help educate countless students.

No comments:

Post a Comment