Friday, October 11, 2019

Extrovert Meter Pegged

People who know me most likely think I'm an extrovert.   I don't think I'd disagree, I am extroverted, but only to a point.   My understanding of what it means to be an extrovert is that you get energy from being in social situations or around other people. And while I'm like this some of the time, there is a much larger part of the time I'd just rather be alone or with a few select people.

This means social situations can be tiring to me after a while.   It might not be any particular situation, it could be the totality of the day's activities and how much of that time I've spent with other people versus being alone.   At a certain point in any given day my extrovert meter gets full and I'm done.  All I want to do is be alone in my room, doing things alone.  

There is a piece of the day's tolerance that's based on how much I need to get done that can only be completed while I'm alone.   For instance, this blog post.   Writing is not a social activity.  The more I need to complete, the sooner I'm likely to be done socially.  

I thought for a long time I was an extrovert exclusively.   The older I get perhaps the less extroverted I become, or perhaps it's just realizing how I've been all along.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had an "epic Zelda game session" after school today with Uncle Jonathan.   Thanks to him and Aunt Margaret for having my little guy over for the evening.   He came home very happy.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tonight my daughter and I went to dinner with Aunt Rebecca.   There were crayons at the table but since my daughter couldn't see the paper or what she'd drawn on it, she drew on her face instead.   Makeup, she said it was.   She added a blue 'R' on her forehead and then wanted to know if she could color on her glasses.   She was having such a time emotionally at that point I said sure.   A little crayon isn't going to affect her ability to see.   When we got home she got in the bath and we washed everything off.   I told her I was getting the water to take her medicine.   When I came back, water bottle in hand, she said, "happy pill first."   I hope this medication works.   She really wants it to.  So do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment