Thursday, August 17, 2017

Peanut Butter Crackers and Paint Update

Two quick topics tonight and then I’m going to bed.   First is peanut butter crackers.   My son is allergic to peanut butter or perhaps not allergic, but he has a poor reaction to it and gets all itchy and drools so it’s not worth it.   My husband doesn’t like nuts and couple that with most schools having a prohibition on peanut butter or peanut products in the children’s lunches and snacks and my daughter has very little exposure.   Which is a shame, because peanut butter is pretty good stuff.

I got her some peanut butter crackers though and told her about them this morning.   I forgot about them but she didn’t because as soon as she came in from school she said, “crackers!” and ran to the pantry.   I didn’t know what she was doing and by the time I checked on her she had a plate and was half-way through the packet of crackers.    I’m glad she likes them.   Maybe she and I can enjoy peanut butter even if the men in our family can’t.

Second topic: update on that gold spattered sharpie.   My husband and I had decided it was a forgone conclusion we were going to have to paint a whole wall to get the mess of sharpie covered up.   We had gotten the floor and some of the other areas cleaned up with acetone but the flat wall paint would come off with acetone almost as readily as the sharpie.   And then I accidentally discovered something.

I had an issue with the fireplace glass cover that required some adjusting.   Adjusting of the glass plate and removal of some white, protective material that had been visible at the top edge.    After doing some adjusting with a screwdriver and some removal of sticky material with an exact knife I got some adhesive remover I use with my daughter for getting the tape residue off her face after surgeries where her eyes are taped up with gunky sticky tape.

On a lark I wondered how sharpie would hold up to adhesive remover and guess what?  It melted.   It dissolved immediately.   It didn’t even touch the paint because it happened so fast.   What took my husband an hour working together to get the minor areas cleaned up—leaving the largest most horrific mess in plain sight—took me all of three minutes to completely remove.   And remove without a trace it was ever there.

I feel like I should post somewhere in all caps on some site to help other parents in similar messes from their exuberant children.   I keep looking at our cleanly painted wall in disbelief every time I walk by.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been loving MineCraft.   He likes playing it on the large television in the basement and of late he likes to play with one of the neighbor friends.   He’ll come up and instead of asking how to do “multiplayer”, the traditional term, he wants to know how to start, “double player”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter found “spikey” the other day.   This is one of those dryer balls but to her it’s a soothing device.   She had it in her class two years ago when she lost her sight and it brought her much comfort.   I found her two other spikey balls and she’s been hiding them all over the house in places only she can find and then bringing them out again when she needs them—including sleeping with them.

I forgot I ran:  Five miles.   It’s been so infrequent I don’t even remember to mention it here.   For the longest time it was a daily thing, listing what sort of exercise I did.   With an upcoming marathon I suppose I’d better get to training though.

No comments:

Post a Comment