Friday, March 16, 2018

Sink Slime

My sink in the bathroom was starting to drain slowly.   It seemed like it went from draining fine to not draining well in a short period of time.   I’d tried to pull out the drain but it didn’t want to come out.   I’d done this before in the past because it looked like it needed cleaning.   It didn’t want to turn or unscrew or rotate in any way and I was usually in a hurry so I planned to come back later.

But I never put much effort into it until I was faced with a non-draining sink.   I tried again on pulling the plug and it wasn’t budging, so I consulted YouTube.   It is amazing how the right ten seconds of video can tell you exactly what you needed to know while showing you how very far off from getting the answer on your own.  

It turned out there was a bolt and then a pull I needed to loosen under the sink and then the drain plug would pull straight out.   My husband was helping while I was under the sink.   He said something along the lines of disgusting, gross, disbelief, nasty, in short, something unpleasant was waiting for me when I got up from the floor.

And it was indeed quite frightening.   I’m careful to keep my long hair out of the sink, but it’s the most heavily used bathroom sink in the house and things do get down there.   So there was hair and some sludge.    I had to go get a two-pronged fork and dig into the drain to pull out what was amassed in there.  

It went on and on and looked somewhat like the largest hairball I’ve ever seen.   But the strangest thing about it was the clear gelatinous ooze attached to the whole thing.   I was worried it was some terribly funky bacteria that had been growing, planning on taking over our house and family, but I think it was something more mundane.

The children’s toothpaste is a colored gel.   They frequently don’t get it evenly dispersed in their mouth so globs end up in the sink.   And those globs are sticky.   I have to wipe them off because they stick and won’t let go from the side of the sink.    I think the toothpaste was getting stuck to the hair and was being leeched of color over time, but didn’t dissolve.

Whatever it was, it’s gone and the sink drains back at it’s normal rate.

The Big Boy Update:   My son does not like it when you ask to talk to him when he’s using the iPad. We talked to him about ways we could communicate with him when he’s on it without him getting upset.   His suggestion was an interesting one, he said, “just push the app exit button”.   We’ll try tomorrow and see if it works.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said she didn’t have a braille eraser about a week ago.   I ordered one online after having my daughter look very closely at the screen and telling me which one she liked at school.   It came in the mail today and she was very excited.   She gave us a demonstration by spelling her name wrong, erasing the letter and then retyping it.  Then she showed us where the braille eraser could be stored.   It’s quite small, about three inches and looks like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment