Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Velvet Cloak Inn

I was going to set up for our school’s annual auction this morning and as I was driving down one of the older streets in the city I noticed a freshly torn down building, or rather what had been a building that was no longer there, leaving all signs that demolition had only recently been completed.

I wasn’t sure, but as I drove back by later it did turn out to be where The Velvet Cloak Inn had stood for many, many years.   My parents were married a short few blocks away over fifty years ago and I remember my mother telling me on occasion that they stayed at The Velvet Cloak Inn on their wedding night…and then went back to work the next day because their honeymoon wasn’t until later after school let out (they were teachers).

I’ve been to the hotel a few times in my life, more than once for a wedding or reception.   It stood there through renovations and demolition of many things around it as it was a landmark of sorts, but it appears its time had come.  Good times, good memories.

The Big Boy Update:  My son said the other day, “don’t let poison ivy kiss you!”  I thought it was a rather clever saying until I found out Poison Ivy was a character from D.C. Comics—a bad guy (girl?).

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was eating pasta last night for dinner and was apparently enjoying it a lot because she suddenly said, “mmm mmm mmm, shake your bushy tail.”

No comments:

Post a Comment