Saturday, February 25, 2017

Deck Garden

It’s was a lovely day today.   It’s one of those days that make you think winter is over and spring has gone into full force springiness—only later you it’s going to be thirty-seven degrees in the morning and you have to remember it’s still February.  

My husband had an idea to start our deck garden together.   The children were excited to be going to the store where they selected the tree to remember our dog last fall.  (The tree is doing well and Lucy is well-remembered.)  Before lunch we went together and looked around the whole garden store, selecting things we needed (if you were my husband), things we wanted (if you were my son) and things that had pretty colors (if you were my daughter).  

We came home with two sturdy pinwheels to place in the hanging beds off the deck rails, herbs, tomato plants and carrots, because my daughter said we needed to plant carrots.  We unloaded the car and my children dispersed to play with neighborhood friends but came back later to see what progress had been made.  Initially they wanted to help, but they got distracted.  

It’s all planted now, with a special bed just for mint, because it’s so invasive and mint is fun for children more so than other herbs.   My husband planted the tomatoes in one large pot and then planted the carrots in a second pot.   He also put one other thing in that second pot—Ghost Pepper chilis.     That crop should be interesting to say the least.   We labeled the sides very carefully, only who knows if the children will leave the labels in place.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to help get all the items we needed for the deck garden today.  He walked around with my husband, helping with advice on which pot would go better in which stand (he was pretty good at making attractive suggestions too).   When my daughter and I caught up with them they had already filled the cart up by working together.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter and I held hands at the garden store today.   I’d like to say her vision is better, but I think we continue to lose more and more.  She needs help getting around in any unfamiliar environment.   But that didn’t stop her from having a good time.   She wanted to see the flowers.   She looked at them and called out the colors and told me if they smelled good.   We felt succulents and leafy plants and “enjoyed the spectacle of nature” while the guys got our garden supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment