Friday, December 2, 2016

Sat Nav

This past Monday in the recovery room after her evaluation under anesthesia I was talking to the nurse about where we were going to go to dinner—the place my daughter had been talking about all day, Chick-Fil-A.   I mentioned I couldn’t remember which mall we were going to, but it was a big one fairly close.   It was at this point from the recovery bed that my daughter, who had been dozing, said, “mom, you can just ask Sat Nav”.  

My daughter knows about GPS and knows we use it to map things for us on our phones, on the computer and in the car because she hears adults talking and let me tell you, she hears everything.   I told her I would have to do that when we got in the car.   The interesting thing was, my husband and I don’t use the term, “Sat Nav”.

A short time later she was discharged and we found ourselves in our car in the cold with our seat belts on, ready to go.   Only I wasn’t going anywhere yet because I was looking up directions on the phone.   I told her what the hold up was and she again, mentioned “Sat Nav”.   I asked her where she heard the term from and then I found out…it was from Peppa Pig.  Oh.

What followed was a lengthy story from my daughter about how Daddy Pig had gotten the car dirty, Momma Pig got upset and how “Sat Nav” was used to help the whole family get to their destination.   By the time she finished her story we’d made it to the mall and had ridden up to the third floor of the parking garage to find a spot to park.

After nuggets, fries, lemonade, throwing some pennies into the fountain, purchasing some candy, purchasing a Lego Dimensions character set for her brother and then selecting a ring/necklace/bracelet set for herself, we headed back to our car.   I sat again in the driver’s seat getting the directions to the hotel started quickly this time, driving off without delay.  

The navigation voice with is apparently called ’Sat Nav’ to my daughter, started talking to us, telling us to turn left.   Then, it immediately told us to turn left, then it said to go back right.   What was happening was we were going down the levels of the parking garage and Sat Nav thought we were just plain confused.   My daughter decided she’d had enough after two floors and said, “cut it out Sat Nav!”

The Big Boy Update:  My son has started getting birthday presents as his birthday is drawing close.  He was happy his sister got presents at first, but then as some came in after her birthday from friends or family we didn’t see until later in the month he got frustrated, asking when his birthday was going to be.   He just found out he has a present from Edna who is here this afternoon.   When she told him he got this very excited yet shy grin on his face and then asked if he could open it now.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was driving loops around our living room, kitchen, dining room on her tricycle after dinner last night when she told me, “mommy, do you know what I’m attracted to?”  I told her I didn’t.   She said.  “I’m attracted to girls.”  I told her girls were very nice.   She then said, “well, and other things too.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment