Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pancakes For Lunch

My husband took my daughter to an event for visually impaired children this morning.   She had a good time and he had a chance to talk to some of the people there as well as see how they approached things differently for children with visual deficits.  

My son didn’t get to go so I thought I’d try and make his morning special too.   I came upstairs to find him working on Legos, happy and quiet in the craft room.   When I asked him if he wanted to have pancakes for lunch, he looked up and said excitedly, “yes!”   I told him we’d leave in thirty minutes and to come down when he was finished.

We left and I told him the place I was taking him to was one of my favorite restaurants in the world—Biscuitville.    We live in the south and there are restaurant chains dedicated to food revolving around biscuits.    My son now told me he wanted to have pancakes and a biscuit.  I said I thought we could make that happen.

I don’t go to Biscuitville often and I was hungry, which means I over-ordered.   We got pancakes, bacon, country ham, two biscuits, eggs and white gravy.    My son ate some of everything.   He wanted me to take a picture of him eating, saying “pancakes and biscuits” and send it to dad (which I did).

We brought the food we couldn’t eat back to the car and headed home.   I had forgotten I’d said my son and I could go pick out Halloween candy.   He had not forgotten.    When we got to the drug store he helped me pick out some  candy and was excited to show it to his sister when she came home.  Then…he got distracted by Pokemon cards and completely forgot about the candy.

The Big Boy Update:  My daughter came home from her event with a small bag of candy.   When she offered my son a piece he casually said, “I don’t want candy. I don’t want to get fat.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   We’d heard about a “light box” but hadn’t seen it in action until today.   My daughter was able to go into a room with low lights and sit in front of a light box.   There was a transparency with colors she could see through it.   She added foam stickers to the transparent picture and was able to discern things well with the high light contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment