Sunday, September 25, 2016

So Many Eyes

I think I whined last night about not having a blog post topic I wanted to write about.   Some days that’s true.  I have a list of topics on my mind, but some are more “heavy” than others and I have to be in the right frame of mind to write about them.  I’ve had this particular post topic on my list for a long time but haven’t been able to write about it yet.

Eyes.   They’re everywhere.   They are all over television all the time.   They’re in advertisements.   If there’s not a close up picture of an eye, there will be talk about “seeing <something> clearly”.   Vision, in all its important forms, is everywhere.   It is just that important.   And I hate it.

I look at those eyes in the television ads.  I look at the cover of the National Geographic magazine that came last month and I see a beautiful iris and a functioning eye.    My daughter’s eyes used to be beautiful.   They used to be blue and she used to be able to look around and see things.  

Now her eyes are grey from the underlay of the iris folding over during the original injury period.   Her irises don’t function normally and they don’t look round.    Her right eye has almost no iris visible and her left eye looks more like a blob than an iris.    If they looked bad but could see, I think I wouldn’t care about all the actors on television.    Even older people have eyes that might not look so attractive, might not be piercing in color, but they work.  

Eyes are everywhere.   I never paid attention to all the eyes.   I don’t care about any of those eyes, I wish we could get a little improvement with the two eyes I do care about.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is feeling more confident lately (I think).   He has been doing kind things and nice gestures on his own.   On the way home from a birthday party yesterday he said from the back seat, “mom, I’ll share this piece of candy with you.”  I told him thank you but I was driving and couldn’t get a piece right then.   He wasn’t deterred, saying, “I’ll save it for you until we get home and you can have it then.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter loves “Special Time”.   She asked the other day if she and I could have special time at the end of the night in the bed.   She wanted me to spend the fifteen minutes in her bed after the lights were turned out and the story was over.   She and I whispered and had a good time talking in the dark.    I gave her a big hug at the end and told her thank you for the special time together.

Marathon Run:  We ran twenty-seven miles today in preparation for the New York and Las Vegas marathons.   We were shooting for 26.2 but there was some overage distance before we got home.   It wasn’t a hard run, but it was a long one.   We really need to work on our pacing to drop some time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment