Sunday, August 14, 2016

He Feels Like He’s Being Understood

My son’s behavior has begun to change fairly drastically.   He’s saying nice things, he’s sharing, and he’s not trying to attack people when it’s not appropriate or wanted.  I’ve said it before, but I think it’s more and more how we interact with him as opposed to things we’re expecting him to change.

As we use different phrases than we had in the past when addressing a negative behavior, we’re seeing a change in how he responds.  He is remembering our advice such as, “If I came over to someone’s house and they closed the door in my face, saying, ‘I don’t like you, go away’, I would be sad.  I wouldn’t want to be friends with someone who said that to me.”   He’s remembering that and changing what he might say to a friend when they come to visit—even if he was busy with something else and didn’t really want to play at that time.

The changes are both subtle and significant.   My son is turning into a kind little guy.    We still have work to do, but I am continually impressed with the difference we’re seeing in such a short period.

The Big Boy Update:  I have mentioned my son’s first love, Madison, who is also the girlfriend of my nephew, Kyle, who is a freshman in college.    Madison and Kyle are visiting overnight on their way to Florida for the start of the school year.   My son came over to me and whispered, “I want to brush and floss my teeth so my breath doesn’t smell bad for Madison.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came over to dad after having her dinner served to her and told him, “dad, I really like the chicken, but I don’t care for the rice.”

Fitness Update:  My best friend and I ran in the park today in ninety-four degree weather.   We ran for fourteen miles.   We drank and drank and drank at each water stop and I still lost three pounds in water weight over the course of the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment