Thursday, May 21, 2015

Ye Old Claratin

Spring has sprung, the flowers are out.  I like spring.  I am fond of the flowers.  I particularly like the temperatures and the sun.   But there is this bit where the trees and grasses make a bloody mess of themselves by spewing pollen all about the place.   It's on everything you touch and it's in the air when the wind blows.   And it's sticky.   It's sticky in a spiky, too small to see but adheres to everything and becomes a nuisance to your mucous membranes kind of way.   In short, my allergies are kicking up.

I don't have allergies for long during this time of year; it's just for a short period of some pollination phase of some prevalent trees and/or grasses.   But for the time those particular flora are attempting to reproduce on a massive scale, I'm miserable.

I try not to scratch my eyes, because, wheehoo, that induces all manner of uncomfortable for the next forty-five minutes in my eyes.   Mucous wants to run a race down my upper lip, while simultaneously being annoyingly thick and firmly stuck in the depths of my sinuses.

So I gave in.   I decided I'd had enough and I wasn't going to take it any more.  If my son was taking Claritin temporarily for his mollescum, I was going to take it temporarily for whatever the hell war was being waged outside that I kept getting caught in the crossfires of.

I looked in our medicine drawer and found some Claritin.   I took one ever twelve hours or so for the next few days.  It occurred to me the other night that I hoped the medication wasn't a twenty-four-hour one and I was double dosing.   I mentioned this out loud while my husband was in the bathroom.   He came over and looked at the back of the blister pack for more information.

He said, "It looks like it's twelve-hour medication, but you may want to get some more.  These expired in 2006."

The Big Boy Update:  I told my son where we were going for lunch today when we drove off from school.  He let me know he didn't like the restaurant I'd picked by telling me, "let's take that idea an put it in the trash."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Recognition counting.   I don't know what the name for this is so I made up something.   My daughter can look a number of grapes, buttons, etc. that's five or lower and recognize what the total is without having to count it out.   Tonight we were playing Hi Ho Cheerio again and she could call out the number without counting and then remove the cherries quickly, much more quickly than she could have done just a few months ago.

Fitness Update:  Early morning six-mile run.   If you told me three years ago I'd be getting up at 5:15AM to run six miles in the morning, I would have told you either you or I was or would be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment