Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Hand Mirror

I have a hand mirror in my top drawer at my vanity.  I'm not sure how many years I've had it, but it was made well before I was born.   I've had many hand mirrors in my life, but this one is one my mother gave me for nothing very special or eventful, and yet I've kept it.

It's no secret I like new things more than old things.   I don't want to live in an old house and revel in days gone by.   I don't want an old iPhone, I want the latest one and I don't care for antiques, I like shopping for new, modern furniture.   But then there's my hand mirror.

I don't know when or why, but I believe it was in the 1990's at some point that I mentioned to my mother I needed a hand mirror.   At that time she was still going to garage sales with my father every so often.   She never had much interest in material things, so she didn't go with him too much but one weekend she went with him and found an old, antique hand mirror for me.

She bought it and I've used it ever since.   I don't know that I was initially too excited about it as the mirror surface was irregular in a few areas, the mirror was heavy and it was old.  But I stuck it in my drawer and it's been with me since that day, traveling from house to house with me for likely twenty years now.

A few years ago we had something clogged in a gutter our gutter cleaners couldn't get out.   I remember my husband asking me to bring my hand mirror to him so the worker could use it.   As I brought it I was explaining how it was old and I wanted him to be careful.   About forty seconds later he handed the mirror back down and I was confused.    I thought he was going to use the mirror's handle to push down the leaves—which made no sense—instead of using it at an angle to look down the gutter down spout.    I felt foolish, but was glad to have my mirror back

I use the mirror every day now and I have a special twist and flip motion I use to put it back into the drawer.   My daughter discovered it two days ago and decided to kiss her reflection in it.   I really like my old mirror.   I think of my mother often when I use it.

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes to make up stories in the bed at the end of the night.  One night he was telling me a story which featured him as some sort of transformer super hero.   I asked him a question about his super powers and he told me, "my arms aren't made out of hoses, they're made out of carrots."   Well then, I'm glad we cleared that up.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been into tutus lately.   Every time they get clean, she pulls them out of the basket and puts one on.   She looks very cute in a tutu.

No comments:

Post a Comment