Sunday, August 10, 2014

Seventies Throwback

I was born in 1970 and as such, I'm a child of that decade.  I remember lots of things from that time and today I was reminded of some of them when we stopped for lunch.  

I wore Hush Puppy, tan suede shoes with those strange, rubbery soles.  There were brown, corduroy bell bottomed pants with shirts and polyester shirts that may or may not have gone with the pants.   My mother had dresses with big, bold patterns in orange, brown and other earth tones.  I remember a lot of earth tones and large, bold designs.

We went day-glow in the eighties and I was right there, looking crazy with the other teens, and then it seemed like we had had enough of color for a while and the nineties and the start of the new century we toned it down.  

The last two houses I owned had white cabinets.  Both were built around the year 2000  By then, we had all moved on from avocado and harvest gold appliances, shaking our heads at the families that still had them in their kitchens.  

But today, that house with the big kitchen full of all white cabinets (the walls were white too until we painted them) would need to be updated to be sold.   Updated to what?   Something more earth-toned to be, "in".

So today when we stopped for lunch, I looked around the newly updated restaurant at the browns and tans all over the wall and the seating.   My children were interested in the big, bold swirly patterns of the wall paper.   The furniture was reminiscent too of what I remember being, "cool" in my friend's houses from my childhood.

We were at McDonalds.   Are the seventies coming back?

The Big Boy Update and Tiny Girl Chronicles Conversation:
My daughter noticing there is another canal across the street from their aunt and uncle's house, "hey look, there's another beach over there."
My son, "no, that's not a beach, it's a lake."
My daughter, peering around the other side of the same house, "hey, there's another one!"
My son, "It's a goon.  It's a guh-loon."
My husband, "It's a lagoon."
My son, "it's a lug-goon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment