Thursday, May 3, 2012

Who Writes the Dictionary Definitions?

I don't know who writes the dictionary definitions, but they do a superb job.  I know lots of words.  I can correctly and successfully use them in a sentence.  I can even give a synonym of many words when asked.  But I am appalling when it comes to giving a true definition.

The reason I'm so frequently impressed by the definitions I read for words, and yes, I tend to look up words a lot in case you were wondering, is because the definition is always exact, succinct, and uses just the words I couldn't come up with as a definition.

I am filled both with a sense of satisfaction (because I now know how to clearly define a word,) and frustrated (because, "I knew that, I just couldn't figure out how to say it.") 

I like making a distinction between connotation and denotation with words which regularly has me pulling up the dictionary app.  Usually finding out exactly what a word means, (the denotation,) instead of the imagery the word brings to mind (the connotation,) is one of the reasons I like words and language so much.

Another one of my goals is to use words I look up.  Knowing what something means and then forgetting it until you run into it again isn't incorporating it into your vocabulary.  This is a goal I regularly fail to meet.

The Big Boy Update:  Picky and "The No."  Or something like that.  He is trying to communicate about his food and eating.  It involves a lot of pushing things away, which may not mean it doesn't like the item, just that he is done or is thirsty, or wants something else right now.  Sometimes it involves throwing.  Okay, more than sometimes.  Reading his limited communication is a challenge that will continue until he can talk more. And working on the throwing.  Coming up with positive ways to deal with throwing anything is always a challenge.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Nine month clothes.  She isn't quite six months but she's growing and can fit into nine month clothes with a little extra room.  I retired all the six month clothes and have passed on a good number of them to a friend who has a daughter four months younger today.  I had to save the outfits with special meaning or memories.  I tried to be selective, but I saved more than I expected.

Right-size Countdown:  1.6 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment